Sofas are your living room’s centerpiece. It’s the one constant place where you, your family, and your guests are naturally drawn towards.
And any seat worth their salt must have these two basic requirements: they have to look good, and they have to be comfortable.
A good leather sofa can easily provide you with both of these things. And nothing screams class and elegance like fine leather upholstery.
By testing out multiple furniture brands, I’ve compiled the best sofas money can buy.
If you want to avoid spending an inordinate amount of money on a sofa that doesn’t meet your standards, read my review where I’ve done all the heavy lifting for you!
Below Are Top-Rated Leather Sofas (Updated List for 2021)
The best leather sofas brands are always made from high-quality materials and sport durable designs. But not every needs and preferences are the same.
So I’ve made sure to cover a wide selection that will have varying features and designs.
Whether you like your couch modern or traditional, feature-heavy or bare-bones, you may find what you want from my nomad leather sofa reviews below.
Below are the best leather furniture brands and models:
1. Chesterfield Modern Couch w/Tufted Arms – #1 Best Quality Leather Sofa (Editor’s Choice)
This classic leather couch from Chesterfield stands out from the rest for a number of reasons. For one, its distinctive yet design can fit the aesthetics of traditional home decor or act as an accent piece for a more modern one.
So in terms of compatibility, it’s pretty versatile. Here are a few other Chesterfield features that make this model a top pick in my book:
- The deep button-tufting pattern is built for both comfort and design. The problem with most products is that they retain heat, which can get uncomfortable during the hotter months. The tufted pattern gives extra breathing space to keep the sofa cooler.
- The scrolled arms give extra space for learning. This traditional pattern not only adds an extra touch of class to the chesterfield sofa but also provides a comfy place to lean against.
- The individual seat cushions make sure that each seated person is comfortable. All the cushions of this buttery soft model are plumped up, with a good balance of firmness and support.
- It’s easy to clean and maintain. The faux material that this model uses is of high quality, so you’re essentially getting the benefits of authentic leather for a fraction of the price.
Summary: This traditional Chesterfield is a great pick if you’re looking for a high-quality faux material unit that provides ample support and comfort.
2. Colosseo Natuzzi – Best Reclining Leather Sofa
The Natuzzi leather chair combines functionality with high-end materials, and their sofa variant is no different.
If you’ve been to a Natuzzi outlet or read a Natuzzi catalog, you’re probably feeling hesitant because of the steep price points.
But after trying out their model, the quality you get is really befitting of its price.
- The padding that combines goose down, Memory Foam, and polyurethane provide comfort. My friend, who has back problems, loves this seat because it gives enough support to keep the user comfy over long periods of sitting.
- Natuzzi leather furniture dealers let you customize it to suit your preferences. You can pick between corner and in-line models, as well as the option to include the relaxation function to satisfy every style and space need. And much like other Natuzzi editions, you can turn the seat modules into potential storage units.
- The Triple-motion function lets you adjust your seat. It uses three independent motors that change the position of the backrest, footrest, and headrest. If you’ve seen the Natuzzi Costco offers, this is most likely the first function they’ll show you because it’s one of the most noteworthy.
- The Zero Wall system saves a lot of living room space. You don’t have to move it away from the wall just to recline it.
Summary: The Colosseo from Natuzzi is a state of the art model that combines the best materials with ergonomic and space-saving technology. This seat is a good investment if you don’t mind a model that’s on the pricier side.
3. Yaheetech Futon – Best Budget Model
The Yaheetech Sofa bed is a great unit if you’re on a tight budget. Despite its affordable price, this model is jam-packed with useful features and made from durable materials. My aunt has had one in her home for over a year now, and it still looks new.
- This affordable recliner can act as a bed for a more relaxing experience. The middle armrests can be folded down, and the backrest can be fully reclined to turn this loveseat into a comfy sleeper sofa in mere seconds.
- The space-saving function makes it suitable for smaller homes. Dimensions are 32” in length, 66” in width, and 29” in height, so it can fit tight spaces easily.
- It comes with two cup holders that are great for movie nights or parties. These convenient holders give you a place where you have instant access to your favorite beverages.
- Its firm padding and cushioned back provides ample comfort and support. I tested it by using it for long periods, and this unit is definitely one of the more comfy I’ve tried.
- It’s very easy to assemble. All the hardware and legs can be found in a hidden compartment in the sofa’s base. Setting up took me less than 15 minutes without any help.
Summary: The Yaheetech Futon is a couch and a bed all in one unit. If you want a comfy leather reclining sofa that’s affordable, this model is one of your best bets.
4. Mid-Century Modern Solid Loveseat Upholstered Faux Leather
This Mid-Century sofa is simple at its finest. It’s one of those higher-end faux leather seats that offer a good balance between affordability and quality.
Its elegant and deep colors make it suitable for most home interiors/home decors, so you won’t have much trouble incorporating it into your abode.
- It’s easy to assemble. The detailed instructions that come with the package make it easy for even one person to set this sofa up.
- The thick seat and backrest feel sturdy and comfy. This sofa’s padding is made from a high-density sponge that might feel too stiff for some, but it still provides ample support. If you’ve tested this model for yourself and dislike the padding but love the pattern, the Cresley is a good alternative.
- The solid wooden legs are built to last a long time. They act as a part of the frame, where the sofa’s legs and arms are all one piece to reduce the number of potential weak points.
- The compact size can fit most homes. Unlike other models that only have one size option can choose between standard and large for this model leather unit.
Summary: The Modern Solid Loveseat Upholstered Leather is a good budget option for those who want something simple and sturdy. It might not have the flashy features of more expensive models, but this sleek product still makes for a good investment that will last you a long time.
5. HONGSHENG Simple Retro Country Style – Best Luxury Leather Couch
If you like Colosseo’s high-quality build but could go without the extra fluff, this HONGSHENG is an excellent choice.
The unit’s traditional and intricate pattern makes it an excellent fit to be your living room’s centerpiece.
- Its sponge padding provides ample comfort. You can sit for more extended periods without feeling uncomfortable.
- Its solid wood frame and leather upholstery feel very durable. I have yet to test this unit’s durability thoroughly, but my friend, who owns one, has been using it regularly for almost half a year now (with occasional cleaning and maintenance). And it hasn’t shown any signs of wear and tear.
- The manufacturer allows customization. You can choose between multiple sizes and color options (including brown leather and black leather) if you don’t like the base model’s appearance or specifications.
Summary: The HONGSHENG Simple Retro Country Style uses high-quality materials to create a durable seat that sports a classic traditional look. If you’ve got more to spend on a couch, this HONGSHENG model gives excellent value for your money.
6. Leather Contemporary Sofa by BestMassage
This faux-leather sleeper sofa option can transform from a loveseat into one of the comfortable sleeper sofas in one easy motion.
I’ve had high expectations with this product because BestMassage is known for its ergonomic furniture, and it didn’t disappoint.
- The soft polyurethane material is easy to clean and maintain. Because this model uses faux leather, it’s much more affordable and is less prone to scratching than genuine leather.
- The plush cushions give extra comfort and support. Leather furniture gets a bad rap for being less comfy than their cloth counterparts, and this one of best sectional quality sofas that easily prove otherwise. This unit uses memory foam that molds itself to the shape of its user for maximum support.
- Maintenance and cleaning are easy. Just spot clean the sofa using a damp cloth and blot it dry.
Summary: This BestMassage uses an excellent combination of materials that’s ergonomic, convenient, and durable.
7. Red Barrel Studio Asbury
Looking for something a little more tech-friendly? This buttery soft sofa uses top grain leather and intricate designs to make for a beautiful and comfortable reclining sofa.
- It’s USB charging ports make for a convenient way to power up your devices. You don’t have to worry about your phone or laptop dying on you. With its conveniently located ports, you can use your gadgets all day long, all in the comfort of your recliner.
- Its reclining feature lets you situate yourself in a more relaxed, resting position. It’s also power-activated, so you don’t have to recline the unit manually. This can also be seen as a minor drawback because you need to have power if you want to use the reclining option.
- The upholstery is made from the finest quality top-grain Italian leather. Not only does it look like a luxurious seat, but it also feels smoother and softer than any other leather material. But this high-quality material equates to a steeper price. If you want some excellent alternatives, I recommend the Hancock Moore leather furniture or maybe have a look at some jake leather sofa reviews.
Summary: The tech-forward Asbury from Red Barrel Studio comes with USB charging ports and a power reclining function that provides additional convenience to go with its high-quality leather build.
8. Orlando Leather Sofa
The Orlando is a low-profile unit that, unlike most sofas, provides a modern and clean look.
Its sleek and simple design combined with a versatile hue makes it a great option for most homes.
- Its high-density foam padding feels comfortable and supportive. I’ve had one in my office for a while now, and it has retained its original shape even with regular use.
- The neutral colors fit well with any aesthetic. You can choose between white, grey, and black, all of which sport a smooth and slightly shiny finish. And unlike your conventional leather finishes like the one you’d get from an American heritage sofa or presidential custom leather, this model has a single-noted color that looks very clean and simple.
- The solid hardwood frames and metal legs are very durable. Because of this robust pattern, Orlando can easily support up to 900 pounds of weight.
Summary: Orlando combines the classic elegance of high-quality leather and a pattern that fits the modern taste of many homeowners.
9. Trent Austin Bombay
If you’re looking for a leather seat with a mid-century design, I recommend the Trent Austin Sofa.
It uses genuine leather with a distressed (aged) finish that’s eye-catching. And it can easily fit the aesthetic of both modern and traditional homes.
- The leather bolster pillows, web suspension, and foam cushions provide comfortable support. The seats themselves feel fairly firm while the back cushion is softer.
- The package comes with a bolster and tosses pillows for added aesthetics. The former has the same color and material as the sofa, while the latter comes in a different pattern that accents the seat’s solid hue.
- Its retro look makes for a simple and elegant addition to any home. With track arms, tapered legs, and a tufted seat, this sofa looks as good as it feels if you’re looking for other similarly built models, I recommend the birch lane Landry sofa or the Anders denim leather.
Summary: The Trent Austin Bombay is an excellent authentic option for those who love the look mid-century style designs.
10. AllModern Custom Upholstery Foster
If you want a beautiful sofa that gives importance to durability above all else, I recommend this model from AllModern.
This product uses Barbed T-nuts that are driven into place to provide high holding power.
And its Seat springs use tempered steel attached and connected with spring clips and flex cords for maximum uniformity and stability.
- This genuine leather unit comes in 15 different dye colors, so you’re sure to find one that fits the look of your home.
- Its cushions are removable and reversible, which can be useful for a quick style change.
- Its precision-cut frames improve the sofa’s overall strength. AllModern uses 3D drafting software that precision-cuts all the frame’s parts, so they fit together with extreme accuracy.
Summary: The AllModern Custom Upholstery Foster is an excellent investment piece because its durable design and high-quality materials are sure to last you a very long time.
11. Red Barrel Studio Arine
Another model from Red Barrel Studio, the Arine is a handsome three-seater that can easily elevate your home.
This faux leather model is also more affordable, but it’s definitely not lacking when it comes to useful features.
- It’s fade-resistant. Unlike natural leather, which’s meant to give a slightly faded look over time; the material used on this sofa stays the same. Baja designs also provide similarly-built furniture if you’re looking for alternatives.
- It’s easy to clean and maintain. Just apply your leather-friendly cleaner or conditioner and wipe it using a soft cloth.
- This model meets California’s standards for fire retardants. While not necessarily an essential feature, it’s undoubtedly a good thing to have in the event of a fire-related emergency.
Summary: The Arine’s special fade-resistant feature is excellent for those who like the look of new genuine leather and prefer to have it stay that way.
12. – Sven Charme Tan Left Sectional Sofa – Top Grain Leather – Bonus
When we first laid eyes on this Sven Charme full aniline leather upholstered sofa we were greeted with the most striking of designs and we had a strange feeling of apprehension. It was clean-cut and crisp, yet had an almost metallic tone. Well, we were right to be concerned. It was clearly a work of craftsmanship, but, man, this thing is expensive.
To save ourselves the expense of lugging our massive piece of furniture home, we sent it off to the engineers to find out just how sturdy and durable it was. And as it turns out, it’s pretty damn tough. We’re not exactly talking regular lugging it in and out of a cab, here. We’re talking skilled, patient, and expert hands manhandling it around.
A few years ago, someone tried to take this sofa home with them and found themselves up a tree within minutes, with the high-backed number splintering from the considerable pressure exerted on it. Thankfully, nobody was seriously injured, though.
After that near-miss, the owners decided to take measures into their own hands. All the rivets were re-drilled and repainted, and the cabinetry of the wood has been painstakingly upgraded with nothing short of great workmanship. It’s done in a modern-day mahogany and bronze color scheme that looks outstanding, especially in combination with the dark-brown leather. The designers of this sofa have even equipped the hard and soft plastics with a protective film for superior durability and a soft hand.
Some models not included in this review:
- west elm hamilton leather
What is Special About Leather Couches?
Classic leather furniture immediately adds a touch of sophistication to any living room.
Unlike other upholstery, it can look good with most aesthetics.
And apart from their refined appearance, they also come with other benefits:
- With proper maintenance and care, leather sofas will last you a long time.
- It does not attract allergens, unlike other materials.
- Leather is less prone to color degradation.
- Leather doesn’t absorb off odors as easily as cloth models.
- Both soft and durable, which is ideal for pets and small kids.
Summary: Even if you do your own research and read up on furniture reviews consumer reports, you’ll find that the general consensus for leather sofas is that they’re durable, less prone to absorbing odors, and easy to clean and maintain.
Which is Better Fabric or Leather?
Here’s a complete breakdown of the advantages and disadvantages of choosing either of the two:
Summary: Generally longer lasting and resistant to damage, but are also more expensive. Fabric, on the other hand, are cheaper, but they tend to attract allergens and have less durability.
What is the Highest Quality Leather?
There are two types most consider to be the best leather you’ll find in the market:
- Retains the look and feel of the actual hide
- Initially tough, but softens over time
- Pure material equates to a very high price. (You can check the full-grain sofa Costco offers or wait for full grain leather sofa clearance for a more affordable purchase.)
- Similar to full-grain in terms of purity
- Goes through a buffing process to give a softer look and feel
Summary: Full grain and top grain are the highest quality leather you’ll find in the market, where the former is more rugged and tough, and the latter gives a softer look and finish.
What is the Highest Quality Leather for Furniture?
Can leather be leather if it is not sustainably produced? Any high-quality leather (leather from sustainably managed, free-range cattle) would be high-quality. However, we find it for cutting to be the least sustainable. During the process of production, hides are treated with toxic chemicals to remove hair and other waste products. Because hair is not chemically removed, animals end up spending more time outdoors living outside, and less time on concrete floors so it is not as strong. And during processing, natural fats and oils are separated from the skin which is released into the environment with the hide. It is often these essential nutrients that nourish the earth’s natural plant and animal life.
In the United States, the blood-based tanning process remains the most sustainable process, and that is what we use. There are other environmentally damaging ways to produce leather, though: it is a common misconception that veal is “fully transgenic.” It is actually a genetically modified animal! We have to recognize that the industry has been going through rapid growth, especially in developing countries where the demand for traditional leather is much higher. So, the focus on animal welfare and sustainability is huge, especially in places where the industry is still on the rise. Do you keep leather indoors? What are some of the steps to hide it for the longest period of time? Yes, hide is kept indoors with natural light and air circulation. It is kept from direct heat and direct sunlight so that the grain will not darken and dry. When not in use, it can remain stored under pressure in a compressed air environment, in a controlled humid environment with an abundance of moisture to keep it supple. How are you processing hides? Our hides are exposed to high temperatures, manual pressure, and rinsing to remove the natural oils from the hides.
Can You Negotiate With Lazy Boy Furniture?
This is the fourth time I have to write the same article. My question is this: Can you ever negotiate with Lazy Boy Furniture? The chair I’m sitting in is from 1984 and is starting to feel its age. I’ve tried to trade it in. I’ve put in a lot of miles on it. I even spray-painted the frame in various funky colors. The local furniture store said they weren’t interested. They can’t even vouch for its condition. I still love the chair. I love how it feels. I love the back support. I love that it folds up to be a flat surface.
So, I’m determined to turn it in. Do you think I can do this? This old chair I’m sitting in came from the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. My daughter has it in her college dorm room. I know the Blue Ridge mountains. They’re picturesque and very quiet. In the summer, I get to see lots of mule deer and antelope out there. And in the wintertime, there are lots of deer and, sometimes, a lot of bears.
Best Leather Sofa for Dogs
Dogs need their own couch too. A plush pile of stuffing is the perfect place to nap. Feeling a little down in the dumps? As befits your four-legged friend, you’ll need a comfy sofa to snooze on. Spend time with your dog and that sofa may not be the most comfortable of surfaces, but there are a lot of durable and stylish couches out there that make a good, comfy home.
I’ve rated all the most popular leather sofas and whittled them down to the top 11, but which one makes the best fit for you?
- I recommend the Colosseo Natuzzi if you can afford to invest in a quality model that’s space-saving (great for apartments and small spaces), ergonomic, and fully customizable.
- If you’re on a tighter budget, the Yaheetech Futon is a faux-leather option that provides the same level of durability and comfort as high-end units.
However, the Chesterfield Modern Leather Sofa Couch w/Tufted Arms is my top choice. It can look great in any home, it’s easy to clean, and it’s so comfortable that the hours seem to slip by every time you use it.
Treat yourself with the best leather couch today and give your home a fresh and elegant look!